a fresh and exhaust air control system to provide “energy on demand”
Beside the spray booth, the oven is the highest energy consumer in the paint shop. There are major energy losses of an oven due to heat losses via exhaust air. The main reasons for such excessive heat losses are break times and production-related fluctuations in capacity such as idle cycles, and faults. As early as in the ramp-up and commissioning phases, there are substantial energy losses.
To save energy in the oven, Dürr developed a new, intelligent air management which is called EcoSmart VEC. This patent pending tool controls the fresh and exhaust air volume in function of the number of car bodies in the oven.
This means that you supply exactly the amount of energy required by the oven.
In detail this system has the following features:
- Feedforward control with virtual car body tracking: EcoSmart VEC knows where every car body is located in the different oven zones and adapts the fresh- and exhaust air accordingly. Also the system knows about the incoming capacity and acts correspondingly
- The oven temperature profile complies exactly at all times with the process specifications
- Product quality is ensured (30% less car bodies = 30% less fresh air > constant fresh air volume per car body)
- The variable fresh air volume is supplied to the oven either via the hot boxes or the air seals
- Suitable for many oven variants (direct or indirect oven heating; oven with or without abatement system; straight-through or bottom-entry oven; greenfield or revamp projects)
- Reduced energy consumption due to process-optimized fresh and exhaust air flow rates
- Automatic process control without manual intervention
- Short pay-back time
- Ensuring highest product quality – oven temperature profile complies at all times with the process specifications and the fresh air volume per car body is held at a constant level.
- Consideration of condensate and of safety-engineering aspects
- Smart control concept due to intelligent, favorably priced system